Ground Rules for Board Meetings
Governing Board Members shall abide to the following rules during Board Meetings:
- Focus on ends policies.
- Stay open to input and new ideas; be willing to move your position.
- Agree on what important words mean and ask for clarification.
- Challenge assumptions and preconceived notions; encourage the expression of dissent at Board meetings.
- Listen in order to understand.
- Bring disagreements to the meeting.
- Base decisions on parameters that include monitoring data, the Ends Policies and other relevant data.
- Treat other Board members with respect, courtesy, fairness and good faith.
- Be brief, no war stories, don’t repeat.
- Focus on what is right, not who is right.
- Respect confidentiality of Board meeting discussions, with exceptions agreed upon by the Board.
- Respect confidentiality of Board decisions until those decisions are formally adopted by the Board, with exceptions agreed upon by the Board.
- Limit discussions of Board business to the Boardroom.